Pages

.


.


How to "Treat" your Pooch"s food intolerance ...

views the best pictures

I’ve read somewhere that dogs often imitate their owners. I can completely agree with this. My dog, Jax, a Lakeland Terrier, has assumed a quirky personality not unlike myself. Another common trait? He seems to have some mild food intolerances/sensitivities that we are still trying to iron out. He was having some gastro issues and was regularly having ear infections in addition to gnawing on his front paws a lot …. things that may be an indication of a food intolerance (so Google researching has told me). I’ve definitely noticed a big improvement since we stopped giving him store bought treats and making natural treats from scratch. We also give him a hypoallergenic kibble, which originally was supposed to be a short term thing while we ironed out what his sensitivity was, but he seemed to be happy enough with it, and I enjoyed the fact that it contained no wheat, so we continued with this particular kibble.


When we first made the switch, we struggled with what to do in terms of rewarding him with a treat. Our vet suggested making treats out of the wet food version of the hypoallergenic kibble. We scoop out small spoonfuls of the wet food onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 375 deg° F for about an hour. We store them in the fridge and use them within a week of being baked. Jax absolutely loves them!


While Christmas shopping this past Fall, my guy discovered this:


Snoopy


Knowing how much I enjoy accommodating dietary restrictions and trying to use organic ingredients where possible, he picked this up so that I could make organic, allergen-friendly treats for Jax. I enjoy that the recipes are wheat-, corn- and soy-free. The recipes seem to have a base of oat flour (I blended gluten-free oats to make it into a flour), brown rice flour, an egg and water, while the individual recipes dictate the additional ingredients.  The first few pages are explanatory and even give substitutions if your dog has an egg allergy.


Tonight, I had some leftover pumpkin from making some Pumpkin Corn Muffins, so I used the leftovers to make “The Great Pumpkin” treats for Jax. One of our friends who was visiting at the time said that the dog biscuits smelled amazing.


IMG_1647


I think Jax thought so too!


IMG_1651 1


Want to make your own organic allergen friendly dog treats? You can purchase online from Chapters: http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Snoopys-Organic-Dog-Biscuit-Kit-Snoopy-Snoopy-Bubba-Rose-Biscuit-Company/9781604332896-item.html


Do you have a pet with food allergies/intolerances? If so, how do you deal with them?

No comments:

Post a Comment