Pages

.


.


Allergic Dog

views the best pictures

I’m not a vet, nor did I get any help from my vet when I suspected a food allergy for Winnie. However, whenever I tell anyone that I found out what her allergies are, vet techs and doctors always ask “how did you find out”? Well, it wasn’t easy. It took diligent documentation for at least 3-6 months before I noticed a “trend” with her foods and which ones seemed to make her more sick. This list includes basic concepts when I analyzed Winnie’s diet, and what I intend to do for Kona.




Although Kona is getting better on his allergy medicines (prednisone, ketoconozole and keflex), it’s sad to think that he may be a chronic case that will never get better without medicines. So, for now, we’ll stay with the medicines until he’s better and in the meantime try to work out his allergies with improved foods.



Here’s a list of various tools that I used to get me started:




  1. Research ingredients for dog foods. Check out http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=2302&cat=8 for details on what’s in your pets dog food. Pay special attention to the first ten ingredients listed. Make note of what they are and make note of when you start the new food. (Be sure to introduce the new food gradually – there are lots of different methods discussed on “elimination diets”. Do your research!)





  2. Use a calendar to jot down what you feed. Pay special attention to when you started a new food (new protein source). Include treats, food (canned, kibble), etc. Try and keep the treats and canned and kibble all within the same protein source. (i.e. – Duck kibble, then stick to duck strips for treats, and duck for canned.) Then jot down any significant changes in stool, scratching, stomach issues (if any). I usually saw results within the first 1-2 weeks of switching, however most “elimination diets” recommend at least 6-8 weeks of the same food to determine results.



  3. Your breeder – use them! Contact them and ask them if their dogs have any allergies. If so, what are they allergic to? Or, just ask them what protein source they predominantly feed… Find out about litter mates to see what they’re eating. Common Shiba food allergens include: chicken, wheat and corn.




  4. I’m a firm believer in indigenous diets. Shibas are a Japanese breed and typically do well on fish. As such, I feel better about feeding Orijen Six Fish, Wellness Core Ocean, and Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream.






  5. Weruva Marbella Paella – to stay on the “ocean” based diet, try Weruva Marbella Paella. I haven’t met a dog that didn’t like it…



  6. Treats – remember to try and stay within the same protein. Shibas in Japan love dried anchovies (called “Iriko” in Japanese). These dried anchovies can be picked up from any Asian market. I give them as treats – and they are great because they are rich in calcium!



  7. Another tasty treat are these kangaroo tails. You can get them at BestBullyStick.com. Kangaroo is considered a “hypoallergenic” treat since it’s such a rare protein source for many dogs in the U.S.




  8. Supplements – I love Standard Process Canine Dermal Support. It’s easy to mix in just a small amount with your dog food. They have never been “turned off” by the addition of the supplement. Another supplement that I have but don’t always use is sea kelp. Many others have sung the praises of it for allergies.






  9. To help control the itchies and soothe raw spots, I use Aloe Vera gel. I store the gel in the refrigerator – and just dab it on with a cloth.




  10. For more severe itchies, I use Sulfodene.


And, finally – for possible mange treatment and to take care of fleas, I use Revolution. It seems to solve any and all possible causes for the itchy skin.




No comments:

Post a Comment